Break Hot Spots

Emily R., Staff Writer

Do you always go to the same place during office hours? Are you interested in fun breaktime opportunities that are not clubs? Learn about some break hot spots open to everyone!

HOT SPOT #1: STUDY HALL

Come here if you need some help with homework or just want some extra time to work! A variety of students congregate in Study Hall, located just left of the Choral Room.  Some, like seventh grader Natalie Roots-Nowakowski, head to Study hall every day. Natalie enjoys Study Hall because it is a great place to collaborate with friends on homework. You can also ask the supervising teacher for help! There is also the added bonus of being able to work while eating, Natalie says. Eighth Grader William Kadel rarely comes to Study Hall. When he does, it is usually when he forgets his planner and needs to do some “emergency” work. Both Natalie and William agree that the Study Hall atmosphere is productive!

HOT SPOT #2: THE INNOVATION HUB

Head on over the the Innovation Hub on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays if you like 3-D printing, making videos, tinkering, or drawing on tables! Sydney Alvelda of 7th grade occasionally comes to the Innovation Hub because it is a fun spot to hang out with friends and create whatever you want. The Innovation Hub is also a great place to get technology help from Ms. Ashley.

HOT SPOT #3: THE LIBRARY

Do you use break to relax and recharge? Discover peaceful nirvana in the Arundel Family Library, only a short walk from the Commons. The Library is a great place for you to root around for your next favorite read or browse the movie section. Eighth Grader Hadley Husisian walks to the Library almost every day. She loves the time to check out books, and can return with a tower of up to ten on any given day. Hadley agrees that it is difficult to find free library time, especially when your grade is not on a STRRetch rotation. Hadley  loves to “have some quiet time checking out books before returning to classes.” See you at the Library!

“Break is the the part of the school day where we get to choose what we want to do, so it’s the perfect time for me to head over to the library and have some quiet time checking out books before returning to classes.”

HOT SPOT #4: TURF/TUNDRA

Are you looking for a place to let out energy between classes? Eighth Graders Audre Zvinys and Hannah Gilliard usually head to the Turf or Tundra during break. They both love throwing the football and playing around. As it gets colder, Hannah and Audre advise ISers to only come outdoors if you want to!

HOT SPOT #5: MEETING WITH TEACHERS

Break is also called “office hours,” meaning it’s a great time to meet with teachers. Ms. Hollingsworth can usually be found down in the science labs. She says she gets a rush of students right before an assessment, but at other times, students usually come down to make up work or take a retake a quiz. Ms. Hollingsworth agrees that break is a good time for students to meet up with teachers, but she also points out that the only recess is break, and it is beneficial for students to have real free time that does not double as time to meet with a teacher or take a quiz. At this time, though, definitely use break if you’re confused in class, want help, or need to take a quiz.